DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR SUMMER 2021 – JANUARY 1, 2021
Applimates together with CIEE, a U.S. leader in educational exchange (www.ciee.org) is offering the Work and Travel USA Program (WAT USA) to students studying in Cyprus and Greece this year!
What is the Work and Travel program?
The Work and Travel Program is an opportunity for students currently studying in a university/college/post-secondary institution in Cyprus and Greece to spend up to 4 months in the U.S. in the summer to learning about American culture, improving their English skills while gaining work experience! Students interested in the Work and Travel program should read the following information to make sure they are eligible.
Where do Work and Travel Students work in the U.S.?
Each year, we advertise the employment opportunities given to our students on our website (www.studyusa.com.cy). All job opportunities are paid. Details include the exact job description, duties, approximate weekly salary, whether accommodation is or is not included and the weekly cost of accommodation, location, etc. and we highly encourage students to look at each job opportunity carefully before applying for the WAT Program.
Employment opportunities are usually in hotels, resorts, restaurants, amusement parks, national parks, and supermarkets but could also be elsewhere, and usually in areas where there are increased numbers of tourists in the summer and extra help is needed. Since it is early in the year, we do not yet have information on our employment opportunities but keep checking this page and section. We should soon begin posting our opportunities and will add more throughout the year. Job opportunities are first come first-served so if there is a position a student is interested in s/he should apply immediately.
Students should be aware that the main goal of the program is cultural exchange and this is a wonderful opportunity to live in the U.S. for up to 4 months, and meet Americans and learn about the United States. However, these are also real job opportunities and you are expected to fulfill all the duties listed in your employment contract.
If time allows, students may wish to travel within the United States upon the completion of their job.
Who can apply for the Work and Travel Program?
To be eligible for the CIEE Work & Travel USA program, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old and not more than 30 years old by the application deadline
- Be registered as a full-time undergraduate student at an accredited university or other institution of post-secondary education in Cyprus or Greece. The degree/diploma course in which you are registered must be at least two years in duration.
- Have completed at least one semester of your degree program (foundation year or preparatory year not included) at the time of application
- Have at least one more year to graduate from your degree program, at the time of application.
- Have at least a 2.0 CGPA out of 4.0 or 6.5 out of 10
- Have at least $800 to support yourself upon arrival in the U.S.
- Be able to function in an English-speaking work environment. Complete an English language interview, in person or online, by Applimates.
How to apply for the Work and Travel Program
The first step in applying is submitting the Pre-Application Form. Once you submit the form, we will make sure you meet all our eligibility requirements and if you do, we will send you instructions on how to continue with your application.
What happens after the Pre-Application Form
If you meet our eligibility requirements, you will then receive instructions on what to do next. You should be prepared to do the following:
- Participate in 1-2 interviews in English
- Fill in application forms;
- Pay an application fee of $50 and if called for a job interview with a U.S. employer, pay another $150 in cash. These fees are non-refundable
- Submit school documents such as your most recent university transcript showing the year you are in and your grades;
- Submit a copy of a valid passport. Your passport must be valid six more months after September 2021.
Please note that not all students who apply will be accepted onto this program.
How much does the Work and Travel Program cost?
The initial Pre-Application Form the WAT USA Program is FREE. However, students who are called for an interview and selected should be ready to pay the following fees to StudyUSA/Applimates:
- Application Fee $50
- Interview Fee $150 (paid at the time of job interview)
- Program Fee $1500 (paid once a job offer is made and the student accepts the job offer
Total excluding visas and flights = $1,700
- Visa application fee $160
- SEVIS fee $35
- Flight to the U.S. (arranged for and paid by the student) $1,000- $1,500
All students are required to pay a non-refundable application fee of $50 at the time they submit their application and documents. Not all students who apply will be accepted onto the program. Those who are called for job interviews will then be required to pay the non-refundable Interview Fee of $150 on the day of the job interview. The Program Fee of $1,500 is only paid by students who receive concrete job offers and decide to participate in the WAT USA program. If the Program Fee is not made at the time the employment contract is signed, the visa document will not be issued and the offer of employment will be withdrawn.
Once a job offer has been finalized, students should be aware that they must then apply for a visa and pay the Visa ($160) and the SEVIS fee ($35) in order to get their J-1 visa to travel to the United States. Unfortunately, we do not have any influence over the visa decision so please make sure to read the Cancellation Policy carefully before committing to the program.
What does the Program Fee Cover?
The initial application for the program is free. Program fees cover the following:
- Assistance with the CIEE application program
- CIEE job placement (if you are not a Self-Placed candidate)
- DS-2019 document required for J-1 exchange visa to the U.S.
- Assistance with visa application.
- StudyUSA/Applimates support before departing Cyprus for Work and Travel Program in the U.S.
- A mandatory orientation before departing Cyprus for the Work and Travel Program in the U.S.
- CIEE support 24/7 during the Work and Travel program in the U.S.
- Medical insurance for the duration of the program.
The application, interview, visa and SEVIS fees are non-refundable. If visa denied, $1,450 will be reimbursed. If student withdraws before visa application but after the DS-2019 form has been issued, the Program Fee is not reimbursed. If student withdraws before visa application but after job offer, a cancellation fee of $200 will be charged. After arrival in the United States, there is no reimbursement.
Goals of the Work and Travel Program:
The goals are three fold: to expose students to the United Sates and the American culture, to gain work experience, and to improve one’s English. Students will very often be working alongside other international students on the same program. Students will earn a wage to support their cultural experience and their living expenses, and depending on the salary and hours worked, and if time permits, students may be able to afford to travel after their employment is ended. Students are encouraged to view the job opportunities set aside for students applying from Cyprus (available soon) to get a clear idea of how much they can earn.
Stipulations of the Work and Travel Program
- This job is a temporary summer job and is not permanent employment.
- Once offered employment, the student must arrive at the place of employment in the United States, in accordance with the job offer, which will be given on an official document. Similar to any job, students will be expected to take their jobs seriously and to fulfill all the duties set forth by their American employers. Students who fail to do so may lose their jobs and return to Cyprus without completing the program. In cases such as these, students will NOT be eligible to receive a cancellation fee. It is for this reason that only serious students genuinely interested in learning about the U.S. and gaining work experience apply for the Work and Travel Program.
- StudyUSA/Applimates nor CIEE can be responsible for obtaining a visa for the student. The issuance of a visa is at the sole discretion of the U.S. Embassy Consular Officer. Students must present themselves for an interview at the U.S. Embassy once the program details have been finalized and visa documents have been obtained.
- Students must return to Cyprus upon completion of the program and in time to resume their studies for the Fall semester at their local university. Students cannot remain in the United States once the visa documents have expired.
- Medical insurance will be purchased for the student that will cover him/her for the duration of the program. This will be arranged by StudyUSA/Applimates and CIEE and is included in the Program Fee.
- Students must show that they have at least $800 for emergency funds before they arrive in the U.S.
- Students must attend a mandatory on-line orientation before departure to the United States.
- International flights must be arranged by the student according to the date and place of employment. Students should not arrive in the United States more than 5 days before the start date of their employment.
- Students must comply with all CIEE and StudyUSA/Applimates regulations before and during this program.
- Students may not take dependents on this program
University students in Cyprus
|Total Program Fee||
$1,700 (CIEE placed students)
The Interview Fee must be paid at the time of the job interview
The Process Fee is only paid once a job offer is made and the student accepts the job offer